Cove and ‘Church on the Green’ at
Frimley Green Methodist Churches
Hants Surrey Border Circuit
Serving our Community
Job Description and Specification
Cove and ‘Church on the Green’ Methodist Churches are seeking to appoint a creative, imaginative, experienced and suitably qualified person to the position of Pioneer Youth Worker based in the Hants Surrey Border.
Full time Position: Shared between the two churches. £24,000 to £27,000 depending on experience per annum.
Job Summary: This is an exciting new role to develop connections with the communities of Cove and Frimley Green Youth work. Using the applicant’s particular pioneer outlook, qualifications, abilities, aptitudes, creativity and skills to engage with the surrounding communities to present to them with opportunities to encounter the good news of the gospel message of Jesus that are relevant to their lives.
Aims and Objectives:
• To develop ways for the local Methodist Churches to be involved with young people
• To enable young people to experience a community of faith that is relevant to them
• To support existing and develop new connections between people to establish effective friendships and support links
• Finding ways to develop ways to experience the Methodist Way of Life in relevant ways and to develop ways of experiencing the Bible and spiritual travel with God in creative ways
• To develop connections with existing Fresh Expressions of church and create new ones
Monitoring and Administration
• To develop a database for files and records of the projects
• To maintain accurate records and files and update accordingly
• To help monitor and evaluate the projects with families and young people with your line manager
• To work at all times within the Methodist employment guidelines
• To receive regular supervision and annual appraisals with your line manager
• To be able to work evenings and weekends as part of your full-time post
• To undertake duties appropriate to the post as instructed by your line manager
• To actively promote equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace
Summary Terms and Conditions
• There will be a six-month probationary period with the possibility of a three month extension
• The nature of the work is flexible however there will need to a commitment to evening and weekend work
• Holiday entitlement is 25 days plus 8 bank holiday entitlement which may be taken in lieu
• The successful candidate will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check and will be expected to have safeguarding training (DBS)
• The job will be offered subject to satisfactory references and DBS checks
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
• A recognised youth work qualification and or substantial youth work experience.
• A committed and open Christian faith and willingness to occasionally work within the wider church community.
• Spiritual and emotional maturity - able to cope with the challenges of active ministry and working with young people.
• Strong leadership skills including the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills including writing, presentation/public speaking and effective listening skills.
• Organisation and management skills to coordinate others supporting the youth work.
• Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
• Comply with an enhanced DBS check with the Child Barred List.
• Flexibility in working hours which will include evenings and weekends.
• Competency in working with new technology including the Internet and social media
Cove and ‘Church on the Green’ Methodist Churches are seeking to appoint a creative, imaginative, experienced and suitably qualified person to the position of Pioneer Youth Worker based in the Hants Surrey Border. We are looking for a dynamic and reliable individual to work as our Youth Work Pioneer to work in our sister churches.
You will also inspire innovations be strategic and sustainable and pioneer new ways to reach young people with the message of the gospel within youth work whilst assisting the churches to develop strategies, skills and grow teams to consistently work with each other to see these young people’s lives changed by Jesus.
The successful applicant will develop the role using their own skills and abilities for the role to deliver an exciting, relevant way of reaching the young people within the community.
In addition to their own pioneer work this work would be supported throughout the year with the development of social activities like group days, summer hikes and BBQ’s, prayer walks, team meetings, afternoon teas, movie afternoons, conferences, Christmas meal, social nights, activities and so much more!
Activities will be tailored to implement socially distanced activities, whether face to face, over different forms of technology etc. This will consistently adapt and change as we respond to the changes put into place by the government in this season due to COVID-19.
Closing Date: Closing date: August 28th
Interview date, morning of the 30th August 2022
Salary: £24,000 to £27,000 depending on experience