Join the team working for one of the most progressive and successful companies in UK agriculture.
We are looking for both experienced and trainee entrants for the important commercial sales role of an Agronomist. We use a hybrid model of home and office working depending on the role.
Frontier is unique in UK agriculture and plays an important role in the food supply chain. We source grain and other ingredients from farmers and supply it to a multitude of major UK food and drink producers. We add value for all involved in the supply chain; from grower to end consumer.
Agronomy roles open in the most progressive supply chain crop production business in the UK. Our Agronomists play a key role in facilitating our business on farm by building outstanding customer relationships, providing a comprehensive advisory service, and maximising crop production for the farmer while increasing sales for the business.
For all roles, a background in agriculture is not essential. We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a strong desire and ability to develop and succeed in a commercial sales role in agriculture.
For Agronomy roles a background and proven record of success in a similar commercial role is essential. Whilst a background working in agriculture would be helpful, it is by no means not essential and we welcome candidates from outside the industry.
At Trainee level, the right candidate, if you are more at trainee level full training will be provided and there is the potential to offer an apprenticeship. https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/agriculture-or-horticulture-professional-adviser-v1-0
For people currently in their final year of studies we are willing to accept a delayed start date.
- We are looking for candidates who are already a practicing Agronomist or someone who has worked in agriculture and have a good understanding of the sector; experience of working agriculture or a similar field would be highly desirable
- FACTS and BASIS qualifications (while not essential) would be a great advantage
- Passionate about agriculture and sustainable food production
- A strong desire to develop a career in Agronomy
- Strong commercial acumen and awareness with previous success dealing with farmers (while not essential) would be a great advantage
- Ability to build outstanding professional relationships with customers and colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- A high level of initiative with strong planning and organisational skills
- Good attention to detail
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft including Excel and Word.
- The personal ambition, tenacity, enthusiasm, and resilience to succeed in a commercial and technical role
- Utilising all the expertise available within Frontier to grow your knowledge, reputation and ledger
The role – Key responsibilities
- To provide an integrated and comprehensive service on all aspects of Crop Production for our customers, including Crop Nutrition, Crop Protection, Soil Health, rotation, cultivation advice and guidance on current agricultural legislation
- Have knowledge of end markets and be able to provide advice on the most appropriate management strategy for these end markets
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders and other teams to fulfil customer orders and ensuring excellent customer service
- Building a comprehensive knowledge of Frontier’s products and services in order to achieve the best commercial, quality and relationship outcomes for customers and the company
- Crop walking regularly; establishing a strong relationship with the customer and understanding their on-going needs
- Build strong relationships with the Trials teams and Technical Support Team, supporting initiatives and developing own product and customer knowledge
- Build relationships with experienced commercial managers, building commercial understanding alongside technical knowledge
- Liaising closely with colleagues to identify opportunities with new customers and develop relationships with existing customers, supporting a joint working approach
- Understand environmental factors and schemes and be able to work with customers to manage these at farm level
- Successful management of customer relationships
- Work with the Regional Sales Manager to create and achieve a business plan for the designated area
- Actively engage in prospecting customers to grow a successful portfolio of clients
Why work for Frontier?
At Frontier, we believe in rewarding our people for a job well done. As an employee you will have access to the following benefits:
- Opportunity to apply for flexible working
- A contributory pension plan to help you save for your future. The plan offers a choice of contributing levels of up to 7% of salary which is matched by us
- 25 days’ holiday (per annum) in addition to bank holidays with the opportunity to purchase up to an additional five days holiday per year
- Life Assurance of three times your salary
- You and your friends and family (up to five people) will have access to our Employee Assistance Programme which provides 24hour support and advice in a variety of areas including financial and wellbeing.
- Access to money saving discounts at selected retailers through our Employee Discounts Programme and our Cycle to Work scheme
- Dedicated learning and development specialists to support your ongoing development
- Access to free eye tests across all roles
- Complimentary parking on site???????
Frontier is a successful and growing business. We are the largest crop production and grain marketing company in the UK, with over 1,000 employees and a turnover of more than £1.5 billion.
With a vision to be the first choice employer in UK agriculture, we are committed to delivering a culture where people are at the heart of our success.
Award winning for our commitment to people, we have been recognised by Great Place to Work Institute since 2012 and we are proud to be ranked by them in the top 30 UK best large places to work.
Our business approach is underpinned by our core values – Integrity, Customer focus and Expertise – or ‘ICE’. These values support our whole philosophy and ways of working and we are always looking to attract talented individuals with either industry knowledge or specialist skills that will help us deliver consistently to these values.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
we have a clear commitment to equality of opportunity and diversity encouraging fairness and equality of treatment for all. As such we encourage applications from all backgrounds.
We recognise the value of a workforce in which people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to introduce fresh ideas and contribute to the business goals.
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive environment with inclusive employment policies such as progressive flexible working and parental policies.
How to Apply
The Recruitment Process for Trainees
Stage 1: Apply online (All applicants) - https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/frontieragriculture/Job/JobDetail?JobId=1677
Stage 2: Telephone Interview (For those that have been shortlisted)
Stage 3: First Formal Interview (For those that have been shortlisted)
Stage 4: Assessment Centre (For those that have been shortlisted)
Stage 5: Visit Region (For those that have been shortlisted)
The assessment centre will be held on 07.12.22 at our Sandy site in Bedfordshire.