Overall Purpose of the job:
To undertake duties relating the daily management and maintenance of Parish Council sites. The
Parish Council is responsible for managing and maintaining 60 hectares of public land serving a
population of 13,000 residents. Sites include woodlands, heathland, chalk downland, ponds, parks,
play areas, rec grounds, community halls and other local open spaces.
About the role/main responsibilities
• Undertake a range of activities across all Parish owned sites including general maintenance
such as mowing, strimming, infrastructure repairs, minor tree works, managing shrub and
flower beds, co-ordinating with our weekly conservation volunteer group, site inspections,
litter picking and bin emptying.
• Able to deal with enquiries and health and safety issues as they arise.
• Make sure our sites are clean and all facilities are kept in a safe useable condition.
• Assist with conservation tasks including seasonal grazing, heathland and woodland
improvement works, downland management, invasive species control.
• Carry out all duties with an awareness and understanding of safety requirements.
Other responsibilities include:
• To represent the Parish Council in all areas of its open space provisions, as required, to the
highest possible standard.
• To take responsibility for site presentation to a high standard, through litter picking,
cleaning of signage and repair of defective structures onsite. Facilitating visitor access,
helping with general enquiries and protecting assets from theft or damage.
• Carry out day to day practical site management and maintenance in order to comply with
site management plans aims and objectives.
• To maintain Parish Council infrastructure and outdoor furniture, (fences, boardwalks,
notice boards, seats, etc.) ensuring that they are kept clean, tidy and in a good state of
• Ensure sites are inspected at regular intervals, for security reasons, and to ensure all
appropriate safety checks are undertaken, all in order to ensure safe and well managed
• To maintain records, inventories and safety inspections for tools and equipment to comply
with health and safety
The post holder will hold a full driving licence and confident to drive a Transit Tipper 350 and a Ranger 4X4. Knowledge of nature conservation and countryside management, as well as experience of managing public amenity areas is preferable.
How to Apply
For more information and to view a full job description and person specification, please visit the Horndean Parish Council website at www.horndeanpc-hants.gov.uk
Alternatively call Matt Madhill – Grounds Manager on 02392 597766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org